Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? It’s certainly my favourite meal – nothing better than eating an awesome dish first thing in the morning. My go-to during the week is a simple coffee and croissant (sometimes, I like to pretend I’m French). But on weekends – especially lazy Sundays – I love a real breakfast/brunch. Pancakes are great and simple, homemade eggs benedict are a little more involved but top the list of breakfast indulgences, and french toast with a side of bacon makes any morning better.
One of my favourite dishes, though, is a surprisingly easy to make but so delicious Eggs in a (Pepper) Hole. What I love about this dish is that it mixes a breakfast staple (eggs) with tasty seared bell peppers. And to boot, the instructions are a piece of cake:
1. Heat a non-stick skillet and spray with cooking spray
2. Cut bell peppers (I find green and yellow work best) into as many 1/2″ thick round slices as eggs you want to make
3. Place the peppers onto the skillet, at medium heat
4. Crack an egg into each pepper (carefully – you can hold down the edges of the pepper with a spatula to hold the egg inside)
5. Cover the eggs until they get to your preferred firmness (you can also flip the pepper+egg over for an over-easy take)
Mmmm…nothing beats breakfast!